Protect Our Winters Adds New Board Members
PROTECT OUR WINTERS ADDS NEW BOARD MEMBERS
Winter Sports Nonprofit Strengthens Leadership Team And Elects New Chairman
Pacific Palisades, Calif., August 30, 2011 – Protect Our Winters (POW) announced today that four new members have been added to the four year-old nonprofit’s Board of Directors. POW was founded in 2007 by pro snowboarder Jeremy Jones, focused on uniting and mobilizing the winter sports community against climate change.
“We are truly honored that this group has agreed to be part of POW’s leadership. Four years ago, POW was an idea. Now we have some of the best and the brightest in sports, science, sustainability and business guiding this organization,” said Jeremy Jones, POW’s Founder.
With climate change an ever-increasing threat to the longevity of winter sports, jobs and the economies of mountain regions, POW is taking an aggressive approach by strengthening its organizational leadership in key areas, to help it address one of the most pressing environmental issues of our time.
POW Board Of Directors, New Additions:
- Gretchen Bleiler – Olympic Silver Medalist, Four-time X Games Champion and co-founder of Nice Reusables/ALEX Bottle
- Penn Newhard - Owner, Backbone Media, Carbondale CO
- Naomi Oreskes – Professor of History and Science Studies at the University of California, San Diego
- Kristine Stratton – SVP of Operations, Earthjustice
Protect Our Winters has also elected Matt McClain as its Chairman of the Board, effective immediately. Matt is currently the Director Marketing & Communications, Surfrider Foundation, based in San Clemente, CA and has been a POW Board Member for two years.
POW Board Of Directors, Current Members:
- Matt McClain (Chairman) – Director Marketing & Communications, Surfrider Foundation
- Auden Schendler - Vice President, Sustainability, Aspen Ski Company
- Strick Walker – Sr. Director, International Brand Communications, Converse
- Christina Thomure – Director of Sustainability, Grand Targhee Resort
About Protect Our Winters: Protect Our Winters is the environmental center point of the winter sports community, united towards a common goal of reducing climate change’s effects on our sport and local mountain communities. With over 40,000 supporters worldwide, POW re-invests contributions in educational initiatives, activism and supporting community-based initiatives that have tangible results. For more information, visit protectourwinters.org
Add a comment